When death occurs

What to do when someone passes away

It can be tricky knowing what to do once someone you love has passed away. For many, the loss and shock can be overwhelming and this can cloud judgement.

By knowing what to do when someone passes away near you can be easier once you know where they’ve passed away.

Turner Family Funerals have over 20 years of experience within the funeral industry and have compiled this list to provide an outline of what to do when someone passes away.

When someone dies in a hospital

The attending practitioner or doctor will release to us the relevant paperwork. This allows us to start organising the paperwork and begin arranging the funeral service.

We arrange to transport your loved one into our care at our own mortuary facility in Nowra.

Death in an aged care facility

The attending practitioner or aged care doctor will release the relevant paperwork to enable us to start the funeral arrangements.

Most nursing homes do not have a mortuary or holding facility, so this means that we need to be notified straight away.

Failing immediate notification, our details need to be left with the nursing home stating that Turner Family Funerals are the nominated funeral director. This allows us to transport your loved one into our care.


Death at home

As soon as possible, the attending practitioner or doctor will issue us a death certificate. We will transport your loved one into our care and start the funeral arrangements.

If the attending doctor cannot issue a death certificate, it becomes a coroner’s case.

Unexpected death

When a death cannot be confirmed, is sudden or accidental, the police will be notified immediately.

They will then arrange for the person who has died to be transferred to the coroners mortuary. Once the coroner has completed the examination, they will notify us so we can take your loved into our care.

In some instances, there may be a slight delay depending on the coroner. We are able to liaise with the coroner on your behalf while planning the funeral service.

For more information about what to do when death occurs,

please contact us